Bleach wipes that kill c-diff spores

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Bleach wipes that kill c-diff spores

Postby seekingcure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:59 pm

This is not an ad for bleach wipes or the online store, but I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that Shoplet.com has free shipping on any size order today only for Cyber Monday. They carry the Clorox Germicidal Bleach wipes that are effective against c-diff spores. I've been using these for months now and they are very convenient for wiping down light switches, faucets, door handles, toilet seats and sinks. If you've been wanting to try these, this is a good chance to get them with free shipping.
Bea

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Bleach wipes that kill c-diff spores

Postby AllisS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Wish I hadn't just stocked up! They are indeed a handy product. And BTW, they are said to work not only against c. difficile spores but also against the dreaded, mostly seasonal norovirus (a.k.a. stomach flu).
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks for the info. How are you and your husband doing? Were you able to enjoy Thanksgiving?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:14 pm

Did you purchase the Clorox Germicidal Wipes in a canister (40 or 60 wipes) that costs $12.95 per canister? They also have some hospital wipes (large amounts) that cost hundreds of dollars. Might be going to Mexico and thought these might be handy in the hotel.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Bobbie,

Yes, they are sold in canisters, for about that price. I think the major risk in Mexico is food that has been rinsed in the water, which would include virtually all produce but possibly other items that wouldn't jump to mind. If you'd be staying with friends vs. in a hotel, you might have more control over this.

AllisS
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:36 pm

OK, I will admit that I was possibly being alarmist. Sorry about that if so. As long as you avoid the drug cartels (as seen on television) you will likely have a good time and be fine.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Bobbie, the ones I bought are apparently now sold out, as I don't see them online anymore. I got the canister of 150 smaller wipes (6 in by 5 in) for $13.91. The ones you see now are larger wipes, but that seems to be all they have now. I carried these with me when we went to the beach in September and wiped everything down when we first got there and again before we left. They're very handy. I even use them on my phones, remote controls and computer mouse and haven't seen that it harmed them.

We both are doing better, although we are both still coughing. That part seems to linger for a long time. Thanksgiving was exhausting because I was feeling my worst during the first part of that week, but I got through it and did enjoy seeing the grandchildren. I bought dinner, as you had suggested.

I hope you get to take that trip to Mexico. I've never been and it sounds like a lot of fun.
Bea

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 pm

I am hesitant to go to Mexico, but if I don't, we won't see our g. kids. I was so sick all last year (pneumonia, a UTI, colitis with extreme pain), I didn't want to take the long trip to the UK until I felt better for awhile. It took months to build my strength back up. We went to a group dinner in April, and I was so weak I was shaking by the time we got home.

Years ago, we went to Acapulco with a group of people from my husband's workplace. This was when I was a health, comparatively young person. I was careful - used bottled water, no ice, no uncooked foods, and took pepto every day. I was fine, but about one half of our group (most of our plane) became horribly ill, and one had to have major surgery. The lines to the bathrooms were very long.

There is a 3 hour nonstop from KC to Cancun which is why my son and DIL suggested it. Cancun now has a Wal Mart - where I will purchase lots of water. (Am supposed to drink 8 to 10 glasses of water a day.) The temperature should be warm and the beaches are lovely.

Thx. for the tip on the hotel, Roy. Isn't this where you son got married? If so, the beach looked lovely.

I'd rather run into a drug cartel than have C. diff. again, Allison. Did you buy the larger bleach wipes? I should order them now.

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving, seeking cure. Yes, this "coughing" thing lasts forever. So glad you are negative. IBS can be rough, but NOTHING is as bad as C. diff. After all these years, I am C -diffed out.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:55 am

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... v9a79zia_e

Bobbie, above is the link to the Amazon page displaying the different sizes of wipes. Mine is a pack of 6.75 X 9 inches -- not super-large, but not small either. I have also sent you a PM.

AllisS

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:04 am

Bobbie - I went to Cancun when I first had an active case of c diff. I had just finished 10 days of vanco, and relapsed at the beginning of June and we were leaving in a week or so. The doctor put me back on vanco and I took it while I was there. Then I still could eat a lot more than I can now, but I had no problems. I did not use any ice and was careful not to eat any raw vegetables - no lettuce, carrots, celery, etc. I could still eat those then. I never got any D or had any problems. The vanco might have helped, but it doesn't kill everything. I would not worry too much - just be careful, especially with the ice. Cancun, if I remember, has a filtration system in the city, but if you go and see the pyramids or go out of town, then be very careful. I did not eat at the ruins at all.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:37 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the hints. We can get a 3-hour nonstop from KC to Cancun. I am concerned about getting sick there but will take all precautions. Allis, thx. for your concern but I'd rather have dealings with a drug cartel than C. diff.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:32 pm

I was of course joking about the drug cartel. I would be more concerned about food and water.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Will be. Know the drill - in fact, I don't drink water in any city I visit - including in the US unless I've been there awhile and mixed it in bottled water. Microbiologist told me when I first got C. diff. to be careful about water in other cities as every city as its own idea of how to treat/sanitize water. Don't know if this is true today or not.

Will take bleach wipes.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:12 pm

Hope you enjoy the trip. Despite my own food-related anxieties, I would love the chance to have some authentic Mexican food. In the U.S. it's mostly Tex-Mex, which can also be tasty but isn't the same thing.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”