You bet I want to vent

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Bobbie
Administrator

You bet I want to vent

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:52 pm

"You bet I want to vent" could be a poem.

I was just congratulating myself on not getting a resp. infection during this germ ridden season. Wrong. Now have a sinus infection and am concerned about another bout of pneumonia with the possible necessity of taking a "gasp, God no" antibiotic. I had my last resp. infection a year ago after we returned from our son's wedding in the UK. Both my husband and I developed pneumonia. He, of course, took a broad spectrum antibiotic and was "well" in no time. I was able to take a Z-pak (for the 2nd time) without developing C. diff. (a Z-pak can cause C. diff. however) but then developed a UTI and then severe abdominal pains for months. Diagnosis: a form of colitis. Treatment: ugh (f. enemas) - which worked for which I am forever grateful.

I recently completed many tests because my bone density test (since I haven't broken a bone in over a year I was not that concerned). I hadn't been in for two years because I was ill all last year with "other stuff." Bone density test had dropped a lot. Osteo doctor (I've gone to him forever) said he though I had either sarcoidosis or lymphoma. Was pretty sure I didn't have either but made five visits to medical center for blood tests and X-ray. Now, he doesn't think I have either but my body is breaking down bone faster than it is making it. I am supposed to go on a new medication soon - if our leader (won't comment on this further for fear of having a stroke - haven't had one of those yet) and his new "Affordable Care Act" allows it.

Why in the H... does a doctor throw out a "scary" diagnosis before he/she is sure??? (Actually I know why, but I object to it as I think it is cruel). It almost ruined my trip to Charlotte/Charleston to see my friend but I went anyway.

Everyone (post menopausal women in particular) should check on their bone density and be sure and take adequate calcium and Vit. D. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis at the age of 52 - the year I had C. diff. - in a chest X-ray - by the time an x-ray shows bone loss, you've already lost quite a bit of bone. Possible cause: mal absorption from C. diff., the gift that keeps on giving. I want to stress this is rare, but it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: You bet I want to vent

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 pm

Bobbie, I am sending you lots of prayers, warm wishes, and healing thoughts for your sinus infection. No pneumonia allowed!! Gosh, if it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all :(

I'm going to have a bone density test in a couple of weeks, because I had osteopenia when I had my last test, in 2009, and my PCP thinks it needs to be rechecked. I hope they don't scare me to death with the results the way they did to you.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:47 pm

Oh Bobbie, I sure hope you can fight this off without taking an antibiotic and it doesn't progress any further. We all know how scary the thought of an antibiotic is.

I don't know if it will help any, but I recently ordered a nasal spray made with grapefruit seed extract. It's called Citricidal. I haven't had to use it yet so can't comment on its effectiveness.

My husband is fighting double pneumonia right now and, of course, I'm paranoid, both that I will catch his pneumonia and that he will catch c-diff. He's taking Levaquin and I know that's a bad one, so I'm forcing probiotics on him. He's actually taking them without too much fuss. I guess he's seen enough of c-diff that he doesn't want it!

We're all pulling for you. Get as much rest as you can and update us when you're able.
Bea

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:30 am

That's all you need. Talk about bad luck. Maybe try boiling an onion with garlic and breathing the vapors. A lot of people swear by it. I have not tried it myself, but I will when I get sinus problems again. I'll keep you in my prayers that you won't need an antibiotic.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:28 am

Bobbie, so sorry to hear this. Hang in there and lets hope for the best. If you do have to take something you know to take a low offender. I will keep you in my prayers that you get well and don't need anything. Carol
CAROL

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Bobbie. Sorry you are sick :(. If you need antibiotics for the sinus infection, maybe get your doctor to write a prescription for antibiotic nasal spray? Here's a link to a compounding pharmacy that makes them:

http://woodlandhillspharmacy.com/vancom ... pray.html#

Um. He told you lymphoma? Holy cow is all I will say to that.

wen23
Regular Contributor

Postby wen23 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:52 am

Bobbie So sorry you are going through all of this. I will pray for your continued health. Currently I am crossing my fingers and toes because my son is also probe to sinus infections also and as we know tis the season for it. We have an appt next week for flu shots and I will also look into the pneumonic ax as we both had pneumonia last winter Sending love Wen

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks, everyone. I made an appointment with a doctor (ugh) because I think my "cold" has turned into pneumonia - esp. since I've had it 6 or 7 times since my initial bout of it (treated with Vantin which contributed to C. diff.) in l993.

Thanks, Amy, for the hyperlink to the compounding pharmacy in CA. I called the toll free # and the pharmacist (Steve) was helpful. I asked him about the nasal sprays. Now to see if my doctor (she is so young - I have shoes older than she is) will "go" for it.

I haven't had a resp. infection for a year. At least I don't have lymphoma or Sarcoidosis . Don't you love it when docs "throw out" a horrible diagnosis before or during testing? I still haven't received the medication for osteoporosis.

Wen, I had sinus surgery (as did my son) and it was extremely helpful. Unfortunately most of my "colds" settle in my chest and I develop pneumonia and asthma when they do. I am taking Mucinex and just started on my inhaler. Made chicken soup last night. (Jewish penicillin.) I an so sick of chicken soup.

Seekingcure, how are your UTI symptoms??? Nancy, good luck on your bone density test.

I so wish we tolerated "bad language" on this site. If we did, I would type f...., f...., f...!!!!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:39 am

Thx. to those of you who recommended Vicks Vaper Rub. I used it for two nights, and although I couldn't smell a thing (lost my sense of smell after years of sinus infections and/or allergies plus 3 sinus surgeries) I think it helped. Sometimes, the "old way" are best.

I don't tell many people I know about my health issues. Tonight. a friend emailed me and asked why I wasn't going to a movie at church tomorrow and said, "Don't be a wuss." She is in her 80's and is an attractive vivacious woman who still travels a lot. Oh, do I wish I had my health back! Guess we all do.

seekingcure
Long Time Contributor

Postby seekingcure » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm so glad you are feeling a little bit better and that the Vick's seems to help. It has always helped me, but my husband refuses to try it. MEN!!!!
Bea

Maya
Regular User

Postby Maya » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm prone to sinus infections. It's cleared up since taking the antibiotics but dread the back lash when I stop. I get migraines too.

Have you ever tried the low dose apple cider vinegar? You take just a a few tsps or a Tbs watered down by tea and honey, or however you can minimize the vinegar flavor, and sip it throughout the day. I put it in the fridge. It's supposed to be a healthy tonic.

It seems to be helping my nausea today.

I hope you feel better soon!

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 am

Bobbie, Now we are orange and you are green!!!!!! I think Peter has some more work to do lol.
CAROL

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”