Forum question?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
DustinS85
New User

Forum question?

Postby DustinS85 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm

I noticed that people say B when they mean blood, M when they mean mucus, and D when they mean diarrhea. Is this a rule that you can't say the word, or is it a personal preference?

Mlbbarry1
Regular Contributor

Re: Forum question?

Postby Mlbbarry1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:14 pm

Hey Dustin, basically it is just polite. We talk a lot of crap on this forum so trying to not gross people out while getting support is best. Sometimes if you need to be very descriptive about your BM's it is best to put them in the TMI section. Sometimes excessive talk of mucus and the color, size, and consistency of our poop is a bit over the top. Although if you really feel you need to be colorful use TMI. And in no time Roy will answer you, lol.

Continue to hang in there:) Monica

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 am

Sometimes it is faster and easier just to abbreviate. What Monica said holds true if you have a lot of description - put it in TMI.

Mlbbarry1
Regular Contributor

Postby Mlbbarry1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

Exactly right Roy, but it's spelled like the " Diarrhea ". Why gotta ruin it putting an O in it!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:20 pm

As long as it's not spilt. That would not be good.

Mlbbarry1
Regular Contributor

Postby Mlbbarry1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:47 pm

It is SPELLED without an "O"=]

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:05 pm

It's a lot easier than saying repeated episodes of copious loosely formed watery discharges from the bowels....Just use "D"

Fire

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:56 am

Dustin,
We'd like to keep the site more business-like as supposedly docs. occasionally look at site - so emphasize pain, cramping, anxiety, as much as D. We've had several docs. as posters. They were just as terrified as we were.

If I were a brand new poster, I would be repulsed by lengthy descriptions of someone's bathroom habits - and I still am when they are unnecessarily detailed.

O is the Brit spelling. You Brits just "gotta be" different, Roy. My son is now saying "Mate" all the time & has an English accent. You "get like the people you live with." He has been there ll years now.

DustinS85
New User

Postby DustinS85 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:17 pm

This all makes sense. At first I was confused, because we are on here about a nasty diarrhea disease, and people not saying full words confused me. I understand now.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I have a question about the flu vaccine. I have been in C. Diff recovery for about 6-1/2 months. My doctor said to wait another 6 weeks to get the flu vaccine, but since the doctors are so clueless about this disease, I am concerned that the flu vaccine may cause a recurrence of active C. Diff. Has anyone else gotten this year's flu vaccine? Last year, I had the vaccine and still got the flu, so I am questioning the advisability of getting it at all. Any advice or comments?

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:49 pm

I always get a flu shot and it never bothers me. I had c-diff for 4 1/2 years. One year they gave it to me when I was in the hospital with a c-diff relapse. Along with it, they gave me the pneumonia shot. Remember, we are all different. The flu shot helps protect you against the upper respiratory flu, but not the stomach viruses that go around. Gotta keep those hands washed!!
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:51 pm

The flu vaccine is a "killed" vaccine so should be OK but this is not a medical site so I'd do some checking on medical site or google it. If you have an "Ask a Nurse" program in your area or any other type of medical call line, try it.

I get a flu vaccine every year and never had a bad reaction. Remember, there are many different types of "flu." Also, check on the pneumovax shot - effective against some types of pneumonia.

This year, we have another choice. There is a more potent flu vaccine now (is supposed to cover more types) so you have your choice of regular or extra strength. I chose the extra strength (of course it was more expensive, but my insurance paid for it) and got it yesterday. So far no problem.

I do not have active C. diff. now, but got the vaccine a number of times with active C. diff. Remember, too, C. diff. affects everyone differently so "What size fits all" doesn't work.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. My doctor said he would like me to wait until mid-October (probably so I'll be a bit stronger). I will get the shot and think I would be foolish not to. Last year, my husband and I did get the available vaccine (and the pneumonia vaccine too), but a trip to Vegas during Xmas (from a pleasant 70 deg in Honolulu to a very chilly 45-50 deg in Vegas) lowered our resistance and we both got a flu which led to bacterial pneumonia (this started my rounds of antibiotics which eventually led to my battle with C. Diff). We get the vaccines every year. At our age (67 and 69), we don't have the immune systems of younger people. I can't afford to take the risk.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 am

Know what you mean. I am almost 73 and have had C. diff. off and on for over 20 years. I was C. diff. free for 9 years, however. I've had pneumonia 4X since my initial bout with it in l993 - hospitalized with pneumonia, sinusitis, a UTI, and C. diff. During two of my bouts with pneumonia I was able to tolerate a Z-pak although many can't. You take a Z-pak for 5 days but it stays in your system for 10 - thus bypassing the GI route for 5 days. I took the probiotic VLS3 both times. Did it help? Who knows. Remember, many have developed C. diff. from a Z-pak.

When I think my best days are behind me and my immune system is going to get worse as I age -- well, I don't like to think about it. Our son and family live in the UK and this is the first time in 10 years we haven't gone. Last year, I was sick for 5 or 6 months after a two week trip there.

I am leaving this week for a trip to Charlotte to visit my friend. I sit in the back row of the plane and glare at anyone who coughs in my direction! We are driving to Charleston. Am looking forward to "getting out of Dodge."

Best to you.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Bobbie: Thank you for all the encouragement you've given me during this difficult period. My children also live far away. My daughter in North Carolina and my son and his family are now in L.A. He is career military and has lived all over the world. We only see them about once a year. However, my husband and I have also done a lot of traveling, usually in a tour group. Nearly every time, I get some illness and come home sick. But, I am a tough old lady and even survived a Sudden Cardiac Arrest at the L.A. Airport 6 years ago (with only minor brain damage). My recovery from that was not as bad as it has been with C. Diff. This thing has me very reluctant to even leave the house as I am afraid I am going to catch something or develop some infection that will put me on antibiotics. I have recurring UTI's, so I am constantly drinking water to hold them at bay (that means endless trips to the restroom) and my teeth are a problem. I have never been so concerned about how my poop looks (my poor husband gets to endure my complaints and descriptions although I try not to elaborate while he is eating). I am hopeful that I never get it again and can't imagine having to endure it as long as you have. I try to warn everyone about antibiotic overuse and plan to question any doctors that want to prescribe it for me. I do have two questions - for some procedures like tooth extraction, urethral dilation, etc. one antibiotic is given as a profilactic rather than a full course of antibiotics. Can one pill trigger a C. Diff episode? Also, since C. Diff still lives in the human body even after it has been neutralized by Flagyl, Vanco, etc. why does testing come up negative? Is it negative because it is no longer active? I am a bit confused. The infectious disease doctor I consulted said testing is rather useless if you are no longer symptomatic because the bacteria has colonized (although no longer at the infectious stage) and may come up positive. Although I did not ask him at the time, I am assuming that is what the A & B means.

Have a wonderful trip to visit your friend and I hope you don't pick up any nasty bugs.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”