C-Diff and Costa Rica

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
inestrozar
Brand New Poster

C-Diff and Costa Rica

Postby inestrozar » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Hello Everyone!
I have been reading the posts on this site for weeks and I am so glad that I found it. I had a sinus infection/bronchitis and the Doctor prescribed me strong antibiotics. Two days after I went off of them I developed terrible D. To make a long story short C-Diff is not common in Costa Rica outside of the hospitals. I went to my workplace doctor four times and each time he gave me probiotics and then sent me to the lab to test for several things excluding C-diff. I had terrible nausea, D, body aches, and headaches for six weeks. I finally called my Uncle who is a Doctor in Texas and told him my symptoms and right away he said I would test my patient for C-diff if they described what you are describing. I had asked the Doctor to test me the first time and third time that I went to see him and he said if you had C-diff you would be in the hospital. After I spoke with my Uncle I went to him and told him "I am not doing anything you ask until you test me for this". He was upset but he wrote out the lab request and slammed it on the desk. Received the positive results and can't wait to show him lol
Anyways, that was my vent. I was super depressed and anxious, thinking my family did not believe me, my husband thought I didn't want him, and my Supervisor was getting fed up with my frequent bathroom trips. The weight loss was nice but definitely not worth the stomach pain. I have continued to cycle throughout the ordeal because I took one week off and it did not seem to make a difference. Now, I am on my first day of metronidazole and I am so scared that it will not work. I have read the relapse stories and I am worried. I am also worried that permanent damage was done since I had it for six weeks. Every time that I eat now I get a big pregnant belly and then major D until it is gone.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Re: C-Diff and Costa Rica

Postby Kathy George » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Most individuals symptoms resolve after one or two rounds of metronidazole. Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones. Your current symtoms should improve after a few days of medication therapy. If this medication does not work then most doctors prescribed Vanco. It has a much better success rate with fewer side effects. Good luck and please keep us updated.
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C-Diff and Costa Rica

Postby beth22 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi - First let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. There are new treatments “out there” now such as infusions and the new drug Dificid.

If antibiotics contributed to your c diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop c diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article).

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org or peggymemorial on Facebook. There are several other support groups on FB. Check out the better medical web sites like the Mayo Clinic and Web MD sites.

Sorry you are going through this. I wouldn't worry about permanent damage because you did not get diagnosed right away. There are many who did not get diagnosed right away and they don't have permanent damage. Many people probably had cases and did not even know they had it and when they finished the antibiotics, it got better on its own. I had it the year before I was diagnosed and it subsided on its own until I took more antibiotics the following year and it reared its ugly head again.

Most people, as mentioned, get better with one or two rounds of treatment. Vancomycin is also an option. If your doctor does not seem helpful, find another. Maybe a university hospital would have a good doctor in their GI dept.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”