Irrational (or rational) fear of dentists...

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
arose
Regular Contributor

Irrational (or rational) fear of dentists...

Postby arose » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing well and feeling good.

I've been good GI wise lately - no symptoms or anything to worry about, though I did have that nasty 24 hour stomach bug everyone is getting. Anyways, if it's not one thing it's another, right?

One of my teeth has been bugging me a little (sensitivity/soreness) so I looked at it carefully and it looks like there's a pretty wicked looking black spot on it in the middle (it's a molar) and I fear it's a cavity (my first one!!!!). Problem is - I have had a ridiculous fear of dentists since my bout with c.diff and have a potentially irrational fear that I may need to go on dental antibiotics. I have a dentist appointment fairly soon and I am incredibly anxious about it.

I have moderate anxiety/OCD and have been brushing my teeth like crazy for the past couple of days - this kind of stuff makes me NUTSSSSSS.

Anyways, just wanted to vent.

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: Irrational (or rational) fear of dentists...

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:39 pm

I know that a lot of people have gotten cdiff after their dentists gave them clindamycin, so I can understand your concern. I talked to my dentist after my cdiff, and he said he rarely uses antibiotics. For filling a cavity, I would think an antibiotic would never be needed, but talk to your dentist. My dentist said even if people get infections after a tooth is pulled, he starts by cleaning out the site very well, and only rarely needs to use any antibiotics at all. Good luck.

shopgirl5
Regular Contributor

Postby shopgirl5 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:46 pm

I understand your fear. I have had filings and even a root canal with no antibiotics. If you had an abscess that would be a different story. I used to get pretreated for cleanings because I have mitral valve regurgitation. They dont't even do that anymore. I too am OCD, and pretty much afraid of everything since my cdiff struck. I never got clinda for my pretreatment but I can't recall what is was. Talk to your dentist. Make sure they understand your touchy situation! What about that laser dentistry. I never had it myself, but may be less invasive! Be well.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:01 am

I have not heard of people getting antibiotics for a filling. My husband had a molar pulled recently and the dentist just cleaned the site well and gave him some kind of antiseptic rinse to use. He was fine. Got his stitches out with no complications. My daughter had wisdom teeth removed years ago without having to take antibiotics too. I would not worry. I get anxious about going to dentists too. It's no fun, but better take care of the cavity so that you don't wind up with a worse problem for not taking care of it. Explain to the dentist how you feel. Hopefully he/she will put you at ease.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:09 am

Antibiotics are not used for cavaties, nor should they be used for extractions. This is when you need to be you own advocate and decline antibiotics when offered. Take care!!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

arose
Regular Contributor

Postby arose » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks, all! You are one wonderful group of people!

I've made a dentist appointment and I'm looking forward to it. Just kidding! :)

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I have had gum problems for many years and had many infections. I had a heart murmur (it self corrected about 15 years ago), and had to take antibiotics before every cleaning. I did not get C-Diff from the dentist, but need a molar removed (not infected, just overgrown because molars on bottom have been removed). I have been very leery of getting an extraction and am pleased to hear that antibiotics are not really necessary. I did not have them for a root canal. I am glad I looked at the comments on this topic. I plan to speak to my dentist and dental surgeon about my problem with antibiotics. Thank you.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”