How to get doctors to listen?

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Kimber3377
Brand New Poster

How to get doctors to listen?

Postby Kimber3377 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Brief medical history as I am in desperate need of suggestions.......
1. Endometrial cancer diagnosed 2010
2. Cancer spread so did 6 weeks of Chemo and radiation
3. abdominal pain after sent to GI
4. After several tests found gall bladder wasn't functional
5.Gall bladder removed in May
6. Back to ER found out I had C diff in June
7. Back to ER Again, spent a week in the hospital no answers in July
8. Now in hospital......still nausea,vomiting, diarrhea , right arm keeps going numb, doctors think this is all normal. I have been sick since the gall bladder came out GI doctor just thinks it is IBS and I should just deal. Tried every binding meds nothing is working.
Oh and I have lost 25 pounds.
Help! I am sick of being sick and no one wants to listen.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Re: How to get doctors to listen?

Postby gm37 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 am

I am so sorry that you have been so ill.
Have you been tested for c-diff? I would ask your doctor to test for c-diff ( preferably the PCR test) and also test stool for any other bacteria or pathogens. When you get those results then you will be able to rule out some things that cause D and weight loss.
I have heard posters on this site discuss problems following gallbladder surgery. Have you discussed all of this with your GI ?
If you are in the hospital, that is a great place to get some answers. Talk to the nurses. Many have had c-diff and can discuss it with you.
When you get the test results, let us know what they found.
Some doctors are difficult to reach. Write down your questions. Ask them in a professional manner. If they don't have answers, ask where you should go to get them.
Did they give you Flagyl at any time during your treatment? Sometimes it causes weird side effects such as your numb right arm.
Best of luck to you. Be aggressive !!!
Anne

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:43 am

I am so sorry you are dealing with such sickness. I agree with Anne, she has given you excellent advice. If you have been or are on Flagyl that could explain the arm symptom. Flagyl is notorious for neurological symptoms. Hope you begin to get answers and also to feel better. Please keep us posted. Carol
CAROL

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi - First let me give you the standard introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. There are new treatments “out there” now such as infusions and the new drug Dificid.
If antibiotics contributed to your c diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics).

Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop c diff again. (See Dr. Borody's article).

For further information see http://www.peggymemorial.org or peggymemorial on Facebook. There are several other support groups on FB. Check out the better medical web sites like the Mayo Clinic and Web MD sites.

This is a support site – not a medical site. We can’t give you medical advice but can tell you what worked for us and offer support. No one will understand what you are going through except someone who has/had C. diff. It is a strange, unpredictable disease. Your best protection (for you and for others) is thorough hand washing and good hygiene.

Although we all know how devastating this disease can be -- physically, mentally, and financially -- this is not a fund-raising site. Anyone attempting to raise funds through the site will be permanently banned as a member.

Again, welcome. Remember, the “odds” are in your favour. (end)

I know a lot of this doesn't apply to you but it might give you some info. Sorry you have been so ill. I wish I knew a way to make docs. listen - sometimes they do; sometimes they don't.

Anne and Carol gave you great advice. Follow up on the Flagyl - many cannot tolerate it - many side effects.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:00 pm

The others gave you excellent advice. Make a list of questions and, if possible, get out of bed and stand by the door until the doc. answers them. I've encountered many "door knob" rattlers who wanted "out" but couldn't do it until I moved - and I didn't until my questions were answered.

Best of luck to you.

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”