Optimer's Dificid leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Mlbbarry1
Regular Contributor

Optimer's Dificid leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Postby Mlbbarry1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Not sure why this article made me so mad, other then the fact they are boasting such amazing results for their precious drug. It may be the first FDA drug approved for C diff but obviously the results are very similar to Vancocin. What kills me is the fact that they are not ashamed to display net profits of that magnitude! When there are desperate people suffering while their insurance companies deny them coverage for a script costing well over $3000 for a two week supply, that may be the cure for there God knows how many relapses! So they put it on a visa or decide to make their own homemade brew and drink it. Maybe they might think about taking that $51 million dollar net profit and try to figure out a cleaning agent that will eliminate c diff that is rampant in hospitals, but then where would all their profits go?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/optime ... 2012-10-02

Well anyway I feel better, feel free to delete this if I was in the wrong for posting it. Monica

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Re: Optimer's Dificid leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 am

I totally agree. I feel so sorry for folks who can't afford to get this, their ins. won't cover it etc. I was lucky I had good ins. and got it for a $40 copay. It did finally cure me I think but I want everyone to have access to it and see if it can cure them also. I know in the real world the company has to make profits but to charge $3000 for 20 pills is obscene. I wouldn't brag too much if I were them when people are dying because their drug is too expensive. Just my opinion. Carol
CAROL

Mlbbarry1
Regular Contributor

Postby Mlbbarry1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 am

Yep, $51 MILLION dollars net! Thanks for making me feel better Carol. Don't know why I am so hung up on this one. But even dreamt about it:(

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 am

Few pharm. companies "have a heart." They are here to make money (understandable). I participated in their presentation before the FDA for approval and gave a speech. Chistina did also. I also participted in their gala "kick off" meeting. Had to give another speech. Earlier, they taped a video of me at my house -- director, make-up artist, prop people., etc. Gave my speech and got a standing ovation - probably because dinner and drinks were next. Party afterwards was fantastic. At one point, they wanted me to participate in a support group - which never happened. They gave me a stuffed C. diff. "bug." I declined saying, "No thanks. I have one of my own." (The "real" kind.)

When I developed C. diff. in Feb. 2012 I contacted several people associated with Optimer and asked for a reduction for the drug because (probably because I am older) my co-pay "out of sight." At first it looked good, but later one of their manager emailed me and said they couldn't do it. I Emailed back and asked why? No answer.

They do have a help program for those who have little income. Google Optimer for the information.

Years ago, pharm. companies gave docs. "perks" if they prescribed their products. Most of that has been curtailed - I believe, I hope. My ID told me years ago a pharm company gave him a trip to Aruba to present a paper on an anti-fungal med. I'm sure the convention HAD to be held in Aruba!

mray
Regular Contributor

Postby mray » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:48 am

It's good and bad. At least it draws attention to C Diff as a profitable disease. That's the only way to make progress, unfortunately, from an R&D stand point.

That stuff sure worked for me. It's been a year since I finished it.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes, Dificid turned my life around. I wish it could be available to more sufferers.
Anne

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”