So frustrated and nervous!

You can do it here... but no profanity, naming specific names, etc. Try to be constructive. Suggestions to improve the board or discussion forums are always appreciated.
Kctexas
Brand New Poster

So frustrated and nervous!

Postby Kctexas » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:49 pm

Hi everyone. This is now my third round of Cdiff.

I was an otherwise health 27 year old female practicing RN. I was bitten last year by a stray dog, and had to go on one month of Augmentin. One month later my hell began.

I was treat with Flagyl for my first found back in September 2018 and I did great. Was on Florastor for about four months afterwards then I was just taking a generic probiotic and drinking a crap ton of Kiefer daily.

Then I got a yeast infection in May. One pill of Diflucan and my worst fears came true. I relapsed. The ER gave me another round of Flagyl (the side effects are the worst) and one week after I was done I relapsed again.

Finally got back in with my original GI. I'm on a tapering dose of vanco until the end of this month, then I'm scheduled for a FMT.

I'm so nervous and hopeful that the FMT will work. I miss being able to do things a "normal" 27 year old person can do. I haven't traveled since my first occurrence because I'm so afraid of getting sick while away from home. I miss being able to work as an RN.

I'm so frustrated with this horrible horrible disease!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: So frustrated and nervous!

Postby AllisS » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:59 pm

Hi Kctexas, welcome to the site. When you have a chance, please read our guidelines for all new posters, which you'll find on the intro page, first thread.

It's unfortunate that you were treated with Flagyl, and not just once but twice. Flagyl is no longer the recommended treatment for C. diff because of its high relapse rate, as you've experienced. FMT has a high success rate.

Don't give up hope -- you'll recover, as the vast majority who have C. diff do. You have youth and otherwise good health in your favor.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

jG43
Contributor

Postby jG43 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:20 am

Hang in there kctexas. I just had a fmt 4 months ago. I got c-diff after taking clindamycin for a cut on my hand. I relapsed after 10 days of flagyl then 10 days of vanco then a 6 week vanco taper. I did not get into a GI until halfway through the taper. I am in Texas. Before the fmt I did not think I would ever get past c-diff. I did 10 days of Dificid then 2 days off then fmt via colonoscopy. The fmt worked. I had to be careful with my diet afterwords but I was back at work in 2 days and I was traveling a week later. My GI recommended that I stop probiotics after the fmt. I had a donor from open biome. As hard as it is try not to be stressed. My GI has over a 90% success rate with patients with mild to moderate symptoms. I am sure this is close to what your GI is having. As hard as it is have faith. Fmt has a high success rate. You will get better.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:31 am

I'm so sorry this happened to you and I'm sorry you were given Flagyl. I hope you recover quickly. I'm a little confused. I wasn't aware that Diflucan can cause a recurrance. Isn't it an anti fungal not antibiotic? Regardless, whatever the reason I hope that you begin feeling better soon and this is soon a thing of the past.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:23 pm

You're right, AnxiousJ; diflucan is an anti-fungal. It's not associated with C. diff. Kc Texas, your recurrence must have been due to some other factor.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:48 pm

Absolutely. I’m also unclear why a FMT was scheduled after rounds of Flagyl failed rather than trying a course of a drug like Dificid or even a long course of vanco with or without a taper, rather than going right for a FMT. Failing Flagyl doesn’t seem to me a reason for a FMT. Have you considered going for a second opinion?

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:45 pm

If saccharomyces boulardii (Florastor) is a yeast that is protective against c diff, and Diflucan kills it along with the yeast infection, then it could theoretically make sense that DIflucan can mess up your intestinal balance and allow c diff to overgrow.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:20 am

When you relapsed was it as bad as the first or slightly? Did they retest and treat from the symptoms or test results? I took a ten day course of flagyl because the Er doc was as clueless as me, then within 3 days of finishing the course, the D was back full force and I was prescribed an additional 7 days against my wishes so I obliged. Luckily the full 17 days beat the beast and it’s been almost 5 months. Tell us more about your relapses.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:12 pm

This poster, kctexas, has not been active on the site since placing this on July 11.

Rita

Return to “Got a suggestion or complaint? Want to vent?”